Whether you need a visa to study in Germany depends on your country of origin.
Foreign students from EU member states as well as from a number of other countries do not need a visa to enter Germany. Nevertheless, you must report to the relevant Foreigners' Registration Office after your arrival and apply for a residence permit. Do not enter Germany with a tourist visa, as this will not allow you to enrol! For current and binding information on study visas, proof of funding, etc., please visit these websites:


Foreigners' Registration Office

After your arrival in Germany, the Foreigners' Registration Office at your place of residence is responsible for visa matters. As soon as you have found a flat or a room, you should first register at the citizens' registration office (Bürgeramt) of the city of Koblenz. Do you live in another city or district? Then register with the authorities there.

You will need to bring the following:
  • Registration certificate (Bürgeramt)
  • Accommodation provider certificate (from landlord)
  • Certificate of purpose of residence (admission to studies or matriculation certificate)
  • Proof of financing
  • Proof of health insurance
  • Passport (valid at least for the duration of the residence permit applied for)
  • A biometric passport photoMeldebescheinigung (Bürgeramt)
Public Order Office/Foreigners' Registration Office City of Koblenz

Ludwig-Erhard-Straße 2
56073 Koblenz
Tel.: +49(0)261 129-4685

Enquiries and appointments:


City of Koblenz Registration/Bürgeramt


After moving into your flat, you must register with the City of Koblenz / Bürgeramt. Do you live in another city or district? Then register with the authorities there.


Pleas bring:

Registration is free of charge. Every citizen in Germany is obliged to register with the authorities after arriving at their new place of residence.


Bürgeramt Koblenz
Gymnasialstraße 4–8
56068 Koblenz
Tel.: +49(0)261 129-7000

Book your appointment for the Bürgeramt online here.